Home is The New Workplace: Key Advantages of Virtual Work
By now, I am sure you have a ‘vision’ of the ‘new workplace’ – working from home. The transition to the work-from-home setup due to the pandemic was very beneficial to most people. Being able to work in the comfort of your home allows you the freedom to control your schedule and manage to make time for your family without worrying about getting stuck in traffic.
With the new workplace, you’ll be able to devote more time to your kids, studies, or other personal activities. There are also things that not only benefit you and your family but also the environment. Here are some key advantages of working from home:
Improved Work-Life Balance
Some remote jobs come with flexible working hours, which means you can start and end your day according to your preferred schedule. With proper time management skills, you’re more in control of the time that you can allot for your personal life.
Whether you need to do some errands, have an online reunion with friends, or binge-watch your favorite shows, these are all easier to balance when working from home, compared to being in the office where there are uncontrollable circumstances like emergency meetings or working overtime.
If you have been working virtually pre-pandemic, then you know that one of its benefits is having bigger savings. But if this is the first time you’ve ever been in a work-from-home setup, you can actually save more than $4,000 annually. Some things you’ll spend less on are gas, clothes, and dining out.
This setup can be a chance for you to save more. Here are some tips on how you can enjoy earning more and spending less:
- Spend less on car maintenance. Now that you’re driving less, there is also less damage to your car, and that leads to lesser payment for car maintenance.
- Cancel subscriptions. Re-check all your subscriptions and cancel the ones that you don’t really need given our current situation. You can cancel your gym memberships since gyms are closed. If you have multiple subscriptions to streaming services, you can take out the ones you don’t really use. Unless you consider it important, you can opt to stop some subscriptions and add the money to your savings.
- Cook meals at home. Try cutting back on ordering out and consider planning and cooking meals at home. This way you can save more and enjoy eating together with your family.
Positive Environmental Impact
The COVID-19 restrictions have a significant impact on the environment, especially on air quality. Since February 2020, the air pollutant nitrogen dioxide has been reduced globally by about 20% due to the pandemic restrictions.
Since everyone went into lockdown when businesses have closed, travels were restricted and all of us stayed indoors, some companies shifted to work from home status. That meant lesser use of vehicles to commute to work, thus making the air cleaner.
Other benefits include cleaner water, lush trees, and reduced littering. Working from home may have limited almost everyone’s movement, but it shows that it is possible to make positive changes to the environment.
More Focused On Work
You can get more work done at home because you are in control of your working situation. For instance, no disturbance from your co-workers or having stopped by someone just to have a chat when you’re working on a deadline.
Just remember to keep a steady routine and stay away from distractions like the television or laundry. Here are some tips to be more focused while working from home:
- Plan your day. Make a list of your duties and categorize them by priority. It will serve as a daily reminder of the things that need to be done. Do it before you end each day to easily transition to the next tasks.
- Set up an ergonomic workstation. Now that you have the freedom and flexibility of choosing where to work, set up a proper workspace that makes you more efficient. Have a comfortable chair, neat desk, and enough lighting to help you be focused. Make sure your area is free from unnecessary noise and other distractions.
- Limit media. Given the current situation, breaking news seems to happen every minute. Constant checking of news or other notifications on your phone may distract you from being productive. It’s good to keep yourself informed, but during work, set a time on when to check your phone to avoid disruptions.
Now that almost everyone is transitioning or getting used to the new workplace environment which is the home, it is important to maintain the balance of being productive and having more freedom in your personal life. Follow these tips to make the most of working hard and having fun at home.
Images courtesy of Pixabay, UnSplash, and Pexels.
Do you know that the more you use your brain, the better it is for you? AND, the more difficult it becomes to get ‘old’? Yup, the brain is really a ‘muscle’, and the more you ‘exercise’ it, the better and stronger it becomes. With that said, let’s see how we can make the brain better.
How about that second career? Ever thought about writing? Or even have someone write for you if you think this would be a better alternative? Well, how about creating your own website? Letting your voice be heard…without actually talking…but using words online. We all have a story within us…what’s yours?
The time is NOW, step out into the world of possibilities…do something different and discover new horizons. It is not difficult and certainly easy when you know the way to do it.
Let me introduce you to Wealthy Affiliate, the place where I learned how to create a website and ‘let my voice be known’. This is where I learned how to create my own blog and connect with people who helped me along the way.
Get your free hobby makeover guide I created to help you get started.
In it, I will tell you:
- how to create your first website and still have 25 FREE ones in addition
- choose a niche
- get a marketing strategy in place
- and of course, the best place to get started – for free – no credit card needed for the 7-day FREE trial membership.
When you learn how to create your own blog, you get to choose the things that you write about. You can also use the blog to make extra income.
Make Another Dream A Reality – Get Your FREE Hobby Makeover Guide TODAY – It is your motivation to make a new start in your life…no matter where you are – geographic location is NEVER a problem either, especially when you live the laptop lifestyle.
Photo by ThisIsEngineering from Pexels